We highlight here some great articles we’ve read this week dealing with art, creative placemaking, and building great communities. You’re sure to find some inspiration to make your life and our community even better!
- We need a mountain troll or giant in Heritage Park: Sleeping Louis, made solely from local scrap wood, is taking a nap on a hill, covered in trees and nature … People can crawl into his gaping mouth and play or even sleep inside of him.
- Artists using their work to promote ocean conservation: Through their art, they create powerful visualizations that pay homage to the beauty of the ocean, but also showcase the devastating effects of human impact.
- Fun and whimsical “shadows” appear across city: In Damon Belanger’s world, a mailbox is actually a smiling monster, a parking kiosk is transformed into a monkey on a pedestal, and a city map is revealed to be a robot.
- Are McMansions Making Anyone Happier?:Today, many Americans can afford more space, and they’ve bought it. They just don’t appear to be any happier with it than with what they had before.
- Lessons from Detroit Civic Commonswith Maurice Cox: We’ve got these young people living in the neighborhood that helped build Ella Fitzgerald Park. Their fingerprints are literally on the park — as part of the park’s mural.