We highlight here some great articles we’ve read this week dealing with art, creative placemaking, and building great communities. You’re sure to find some inspiration to make your life and our community even better!
- 6 Keys to Autonomous Transit That Fits Local Communities: “The need for flexible, context-specific design will likely be the rule, rather than the exception, in planning for new transportation technology.”
- Everything You Need to Know Before Buying an Electric Bike: “The switch to battery-powered cars may get more media attention, but in the immediate future, the real revolution in electric transportation may be taking place on two wheels.”
- 8 Things That Should Go Extinct in Cities: “The age of the strip mall with parking in front is waning, and for good reason: nothing kills the sidewalk experience like being sandwiched between a parking lot and a busy street. But the new replacement trend isn’t always positive.”
- Using Dance to Bridge Art and Activism: “I’m trying to have a bigger conversation about social conditions, and sometimes I’m having that conversation in a really pensive, sort of introspective kind of performance,” Cullors said. “And then sometimes it’s really extroverted—like, let’s get up and dance together.”
- Culture and the City: “The Urban Land Institute UK Urban Art Forum recently released a new six-step guide to including culture in developments; we look at some of the ways to ensure that culture remains a core part of city planning.”