We highlight here some great articles we’ve read this week dealing with art, creative placemaking, and building great communities. You’re sure to find some inspiration to make your life and our community even better!
- 50 Outstanding Public Art Projects Created in 2018: These selected works reflect the incredible diversity of public art projects, including temporary to permanent, sculpture to performance art.
- Muralist Elton Monroy Durán uses art to create a visible identity in Southwest Detroit: Everything I do comes from a place of love … These murals are an act of love to my community. I want people to be happy, I want people to be represented.
- Paris plans to grow “urban forests” near landmarks: The mayor has suggested steadily removing parking spaces and replacing each one with mini-gardens, a process that is due to start already this year.
- Finding community at Starbucks:I think about how we never would have met if not for a place like Starbucks. Like it or not, at least in our neighborhood, Starbucks has become one of the only places a relationship like this could germinate.
- Healing racism through story-telling: We’re changing the narrative, and it’s hard to believe that all these people actually want to come out and hear us tell our black stories.