Yes, you’ll want to see ALL the films at the Greater Farmington Film Festival but here are 10 good reasons to see Short Term 12:
1. You’ll agree with William Goss that “Brie Larson (as Grace) and the film itself are a quiet revelation.”
2. Forbes film writer Scott Mendelson put it on his Best of 2013 film list, noting that “writer/director Destin Cretton has crafted one of the most unexpectedly uplifting humanist fables of the year, a potent yet genuinely funny drama set among genuinely good people trying to do right by those who have little to count on. ”
3. The “best independent (film) in years,” according to E Online, and an “authentic gem.”
4. Short Term 12 is the “best overlooked film of 2013.”
5. Short Term 12 “comes from a place of delicate and truthful understatement, which allows the humanity and decency of its characters—and, yes, the lessons—to shine through naturally.”
6. The powerful rap song by Keith Stanfield. You can find it on YouTube but wait until you see it on the big screen at the GFFF.
7. Short Term 12 demonstrates the healing power of the arts: “the residents use comedy, hip-hop, short-story-writing and illustration to manage emotions that are constantly threatening to overwhelm them.”
8. You’ll laugh. And you’ll cry. And you’ll leave the theater feeling better than you did when you entered it.
9. This will be your only opportunity to see this award-winning “pitch-perfect feel-good film” that is a “shining example of what cinema is all about.”
10. You have a heart and it’s impossible NOT to see this film once you’ve watched the trailer. Really. Watch the trailer below and you’ll be at the festival web site ordering tickets.