Our Friday update here at kickstART farmington highlights some great articles we’ve read this week dealing with art, creative placemaking, and building great communities. You’re sure to find some inspiration to make your life and our community even better!
1. Small City Sustainability: A so-called “green” building won’t be green in its performance if it’s in the wrong place, contributing to suburban sprawl and requiring people to drive long distances to get to and from it.
2. Covering a City’s Potholes with Art: Bachor began his personal public-works project to repair potholes with mosaics in the summer of 2013.
3. On a performing arts center in Farmington Hills: Lerner told Shadko the OCC campus would be a good location for a center with existing parking and freeway access. (Editors note: Perhaps it makes more sense to build in a walkable area, such as downtown Farmington, near restaurants and shops.)
4. Promoting Artistry and Social Good: I believe that artists have a particular role to play in healing and social transformation…. How can we build a world we want our children to live in, to inherit?
5. Engaging communities through the arts: The arts should be for all, should be meaningful to all. It is in the interest of the nonprofit arts industry to work tirelessly toward that end.