Yes, you’ll want to see ALL the films at the 2015 Greater Farmington Film Festival but here are 10 good reasons to see Crescendo! The Power of Music, March 6th, at 7:00 pm at the Farmington Civic Theater.
1. Learn about El Sistema, Venezuela’s youth orchestra program, which has inspired training programs around the globe.
2. Meet Raven, a gifted young violinist whose spirited personality both pushes her talent forward and gets in her own way.
3. Meet Zebediah, a viola player who finds acceptance, friendship and a driving passion through the program.
4. Meet Mohammed, an exceptionally gifted trombone player who is caught between his love for playing and the pressures of his father to do better in school.
5. See the film that won the Audience Award and the award for Best Local Feature at the Philadelphia Film Festival.
6. Be inspired by Stanford Thompson, the Founder and Artistic Director of the El Sistema-inspired program Play On, Philly!, who works tirelessly with the young musicians in his programs to stay out of trouble and to hone their musical interests.
7. See ten-time Grammy Award winner Bobby McFerrin lead the students in a coaching session in the Play On, Philly! program.
8. Be amazed by the students’ incredible talent in playing complicated and beautiful classical music pieces.
9. Watch the internationally acclaimed conductor Sir Simon Rattle conduct some of the featured young musicians in a performance they will never forget.
10. Get involved right here in Michigan! Learn more about the El Sistema-inspired programs Crescendo Detroit and Kalamazoo Kids in Tune.
Purchase your tickets at the Farmington Civic Theater, Costick Center, or online at the festival web site.