We highlight here some great articles we’ve read this week dealing with art, creative placemaking, and building great communities. You’re sure to find some inspiration to make your life and our community even better!
- 5 Insights About Walkable Places: What is clear, though, from this study and prior ones, is that the fiscal case for walkability is strong—and so is the case that we don’t allow walkable development patterns in nearly enough places, including suburbs and central cities alike.
- Artist Kadir Nelson on New Yorker covers & “joyful slivers of city life”: I noticed during a recent trip to New York that both hipsters and electric scooters were everywhere. I wanted to create an ode to them.
- Cities Through the Artist’s Eye: The Urbanist podcast from Monocle magazine explores how an artist’s perspective can help paint a new picture of the cities we live in.
- Transforming Public Spaces Through Creative Intervention: Seeds for Change marks a step in a safer, more sustainable direction with its conversion of four car parking spots to an attractive place with parking for 40 bicycles.
- 7 Essential Tools to Empower Artists as Entrepreneurs: Arts organizations can help individual artists succeed by providing professional development opportunities that build artists’ sustainability and capacity, thereby boosting our nation’s overall creative economy.