We highlight here some great articles we’ve read this week dealing with art, creative placemaking, and building great communities. You’re sure to find some inspiration to make your life and our community even better!
- 101 Ways to Thrive in a City with Kids: We’ve tapped designers, policy experts, and our in-house parents for their tips on how urban families can flourish, as well as various ways to advocate for a more kid-friendly city. Because cities built to support families are better for everyone.
- How Children Get to School in a Safe Country: In the U.S., of course, motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death of children up to age 19. Yet all too often, parents say they drive their children around — to school, on errands, to recreation — to keep them safe.
- Creating Pop-Up Spaces in Strip Malls and Plazas: Something drastic has changed in the last 10 years that we are able to see the value in taking away parking spots for community spaces.
- Designing for Diversity in Public Space: Great places are designed for the inclusion and enjoyment of everyone, including those with differing cognitive, sensory, physical, or developmental abilities. Nearly every feature of a public space can be optimized for maximum accessibility.
- Creating Places that Foster a Better America: It is often public spaces that spark our passion for a place. They inspire us to love, to remember or heal, and to come together as a community…. When done right, they can connect residents from all different backgrounds, cultivating trust and bolstering empathy for others.