“The Art of Making It” is a film about who gets seen and who gets left behind in today’s seductive, secretive and unregulated art world. The film follows a diverse group of compelling young artists on the brink of unimaginable success or failure as they challenge systems, break barriers and risk it all with the goal of making it in an industry where all the rules are currently being rewritten.
- Learn about the work of a diverse group of artists doing fascinating work, including Gisela McDaniel, a Detroit-based artist.
- Pulitzer Prize-winning art critic Jerry Saltz appears in the film and calls it “one of the most majestic and unexpected films about the secret life of art.”
- Emmy-nominated producer Debi Wisch said in an interview, “I hope the film opens their eyes to the struggles of younger artists and the wellbeing of the maker. There’s a romantic ideal about the starving artist, but it’s not really that romantic.”
- The Independent noted that “The Art of Making It soars when it concentrates, as it often does, on the concepts and the process of making boundary-breaking art.”
- The film won the Audience Award at the 2022 SXSW Film Festival.
Purchase your tickets today at gffilmfest.com/films!