Charlotte is an animated drama that tells the true story of Charlotte Salomon (Keira Knightley), a young German-Jewish painter who comes of age in Berlin on the eve of the Second World War. Fiercely imaginative and deeply gifted, she dreams of becoming an artist. Her first love applauds her talent, which emboldens her resolve. But the world around her is changing quickly and dangerously, limiting her options and derailing her dream.
When anti-Semitic policies inspire violent mobs, she leaves Berlin for the safety of the South of France. There she begins to paint again and finds new love. But her work is interrupted, this time by a family tragedy that reveals an even darker secret. Believing that only the extraordinary will save her, she embarks on the monumental adventure of painting her life story.
- Charlotte is based on the true story of German-Jewish artist Charlotte Salomon.
- Charlotte is voiced by two-time Academy-award nominee Keira Knightley.
- The film is beautifully animated and provides a unique sense of the artist’s style and work.
- “Remarkable. One of the best films of 2022!” according to Jeffrey Lyons.
- Take the opportunity to tour the Zekelman Holocaust Center and view the current exhibition To Paint is to Live: The Artwork of Erich Lichtblau-Leskly.
Purchase your tickets today at gffilmfest.com/films!